Location: Reading/remote, with travel to Africa
Close Date: 15/12/2019
Salary: Benchmarked on university salaries https://finance.admin.ox.ac.uk/salary-scales
IDEMS (Innovations in Development, Education and the Mathematical Sciences) International Community Interest Company is looking for a software development team leader to support, inspire and mentor young software development teams in Africa, currently Kenya, to build technical open source solutions suited to their environments. We would also be interested in mentors who would like to be involved on a part time basis.
IDEMS is a young social enterprise, registered as a not-for-profit community interest company. We have academic roots and aspirations of global impact. Our work has mainly been consultancy in Africa to support development and education projects which cut across a wide range of areas including agriculture, social development and climate change. We are transitioning to move beyond consultancy and towards service-oriented business models.
We are looking for candidates with:
- Experience working in a software development team, including mentoring others, and the ability to work simultaneously on diverse projects in different development environments and programming languages.
- An interest in developing open source solutions to high standards in difficult environments and the ability to support such efforts remotely using standard tools (such as GitHub).
- A desire to work in international development and the ability to travel for work in Africa for trips of up to a month.
- A passion for capacity building and the ability to work patiently with teams starting with low skill sets.
- A willingness to prioritise wellbeing over wealth and the ability to accept terms benchmarked on university rather than commercial rates.
IDEMS offers permanent staff fully flexible working terms but expects all staff to act responsibly with respect to their workload and company finances. We also have mechanisms to work with people on a part-time, contract and volunteer basis.
We are looking for permanent staff members who would start on a six-month trial basis. Appointments would be expected to contribute to some of our existing projects which are developing solutions involving:
- Web technologies with offline capabilities
- Android apps
Staff members would also be able to manage their own projects, either by bring existing work commitments with them or creating new ones. This would simply require the projects to align with IDEMS principles and not have negative financial implications for IDEMS. IDEMS is putting structures in place that give profitable staff members a say in how their surpluses are used for reinvestment and support of our community.
To apply, please send a CV and covering letter to: email@example.com Informal enquires are welcome at: firstname.lastname@example.org