- Contract: Full Time- Permanent
- Salary: £50,000 – £65,000
- Location: New Local operates a highly flexible approach to work location and welcomes applications from across the UK.
- Deadline: Wednesday 11th May 2022 by 9am
- For full job description, click here
This role would suit someone with a background in areas such as social impact consultancy, strategic consultancy, management consultancy, transformation, system change, organisational development, and organisational impact.
New Local is a think tank and network of councils and other organisations working to energise local government and improve public services. At the heart of our work is ‘community power’ – the belief that people should be given the means to transform the places where they live and the services they use. We believe this is key to sustainable, fairer public services and a better society for all.
We publish research on community power. We campaign for change. And we work directly with public and voluntary sector bodies to help them hand more power and resource over to communities.
In recent months, New Local’s direct work with councils, the NHS, and other bodies to turn the principle of community power into reality has grown considerably. We have created the new role of Principal Practice Lead to support the development and delivery of this work. You will join New Local’s practice team and play a pivotal role in its early stages of development and growth.
The role will require a highly entrepreneurial mindset applied within a strong social purpose context.
Your job will include:
- Delivering impact: leading on the delivery of practice work, in particular designing and delivering deliberative workshops and producing compelling outputs to achieve impact.
- Partnership working: building and maintaining strong relationships with practice partners and working collaboratively to co-design solutions with professionals and communities.
- Business development: generating practice revenues through creatively developing and responding to new partnership and business opportunities.
- Project management: project managing a portfolio of projects to ensure practice work is delivered within budget and to agreed timelines.
- And more… As part of a small, friendly and informal organisation you’ll have the opportunity to participate in other activities and support the wider delivery of New Local’s vision and strategy.
Our ideal candidate will be:
- An articulate and knowledgeable connector, who has the understanding and confidence to build relationships at senior levels and deliver impactful, practical change.
- Strongly entrepreneurial, someone who is committed to business development and able to generate revenues.
- An excellent communicator, who can write and speak clearly about compelling ideas for change.
- Someone with the ability to prioritise, who is comfortable within an environment of autonomous working and competing demands.
- Driven by achieving positive change, both through our practice work and New Local’s broader political and societal goals.
- A friendly and supportive colleague able to work in a highly creative and collaborative environment that encourages excellence from all members of the team.
New Local was founded in 1996 as the New Local Government Network. It relaunched as New Local in October 2020. There is currently a team of 15 staff working on practice, research, communications, influencing and peer-learning with our network of over seventy councils and other partner organisations. The Principal Practice Lead role will sit in the Practice team but will work closely with other teams. The postholder will report to the Director of Practice.
In addition to the advertised salary, we offer:
- A minimum of 27 days’ holiday a year and ten days holiday over Christmas/New Year
- Highly flexible working and work location arrangements
- Regular training opportunities
- A number of other benefits listed in the job description.
Wellbeing: New Local is very strongly committed to staff wellbeing. Working long and late hours is actively discouraged and all staff at New Local are committed to creating a pleasant, friendly and supportive environment in which to work.
Diversity: New Local is committed to being an equal opportunities employer. We don’t just ‘value diversity’, we think it is central to what makes for a high impact, successful organisation. We positively encourage everyone to apply. In order to monitor equal opportunities, we ask that the Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form below is completed (this is entirely at the applicant’s discretion). The collecting of this data is part of our diversity strategy, to understand how we can improve equal opportunities for external applicants to New Local. All information gathered for equal opportunities monitoring is anonymous and then destroyed after 6 months, after which only aggregate data will be held. Information collected for monitoring purposes will be treated as confidential and will not be used for any other purpose.
How to apply
- A cover letter of no more than 500 words explaining what attracts you to the role and why you feel you would make a great Principal Practice Lead.
- Completed Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form (if you wish) N.B. all equal opportunities forms will be separated from the application.
If you require any help applying for this role or taking part in the recruitment process, then do not hesitate to contact Katy Evans, our Operations Manager, at email@example.com.
|Post advertised||Wednesday 13th April 2022|
|Deadline for applications||Wednesday 11th May 2022 by 9am|
|Candidates contacted for interview by||Thursday 19th May 2022|
|One hour written exercise||Monday 23rd May 2022|
|Interviews 1st round, via Zoom||Friday 27th May 2022|
|Interviews 2nd round (if required)||Wednesday 1st June 2022|
|Start date||To be agreed subject to circumstances / notice period|
If you are unable to attend interview(s) on this / these date(s), please let us know when you apply.
Probation and Notice: This role is subject to a six-month probationary period and a three-month notice period.
Data Protection: New Local will process and store and your personal information (this means any information that identifies or could identify you) for the purposes of recruitment, for a period of up to six months after the closing date, after which it will be securely disposed. For more information, please refer to our Job Applicant Privacy Notice.