- Customer and community liaison, Positive News
- 20-40 hours per week, permanent
- Based in London
- £22,000 – £25,000 p/a pro rata
Positive News is the online and print magazine for good journalism about the good things that are happening. We are pioneers of ‘constructive journalism’ – rigorous and relevant reporting that is focused on progress, possibilities and solutions.
We are looking for someone who enjoys engaging with people and problem solving, and who has a flair for using digital systems and communications, to be the main point of contact for our vibrant community of readers and customers.
At the core of this role (20-24 hours per week), you will be responsible for overseeing daily orders for subscriptions and copies of our print magazine, responding to customer enquiries and troubleshooting any issues with orders and online accounts.
As the first point of contact for our customers and community of support, you will deal with email, phone, social media and postal correspondence.
As part of a small team, you will also support as required with other activities.
The position is based primarily at our office in central London, with the opportunity for remote working and some flexible hours.
There is an opportunity for the right candidate to take on further responsibilities to make this a 32-40 hour role. The additional work would be focused on community engagement and/or digital editorial support.
On community engagement, you would be responsible for building and developing Positive News’ relationship with its community of support through email, social media and other digital engagement, as well as offline channels (eg. at events).
For digital editorial support you would be responsible for the daily publishing of content on the Positive News website and social media channels, as well as compiling the weekly editorial email newsletter, under the direction of the editor.
Please state clearly in your application if you wish to apply for either of these two additional areas of responsibility.
- Responding efficiently to daily customer enquiries by email, social media, phone and post
- Overseeing online, phone and postal orders for subscriptions and magazines
- Amending and updating customer records
- Logging customer feedback
- Other administrative tasks as required
- Monitoring and responding to feedback and comments via email and social media
- Working closely with the COO on proactive community engagement activities, including regular email communications and surveys, and social media conversations
- Supporting work on measuring and growing our social impact through the Positive News community
Digital editorial support
- Posting and managing website content
- Social media management: posting and coordinating content on our social media channels (editorial and marketing content)
- Creating and managing weekly editorial email newsletters
Who we’re looking for
- Enjoy interacting with people, especially digitally
- Patient, level-headed and empathetic
- Solution-focused mindset
- Constructive attitude in response to challenges and limitations
- Attention to detail and commitment to quality
- Competent with technology and quick to adapt to new systems
- Confident using own initiative and clear communicator, including a willingness to ask for help
- Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines, adapt to last minute changes to planned activity and self-manage your workload
- Self-sufficient and happy working independently
- Experience using a CRM database
- Experience with Mailchimp, Hootsuite, Excel, Photoshop, InDesign, WordPress, Woocommerce, Google Docs/Sheets/Slides
- Copywriting ability
- Competence using social media
£22,000 – 25,000 p/a pro rata, depending on experience
About our organisation
You will be working for a respected and pioneering media brand, which is commercially ambitious while driven by a social purpose. Positive News is a community benefit society (a form of co-op) owned by more than 1,500 of our readers in 33 countries, and our surpluses are reinvested in our journalism. Positive News was the first media organisation in the world to offer ‘community shares’ globally through crowdfunding, as part of our #OwnTheMedia campaign. Our directors are elected by and from our community of co-owners. We value employee wellbeing and responsible leadership.
How to apply
Please send the following:
- Covering note (in the body of the email)
- CV (no more than two pages, attached as a PDF)
Applications should be submitted by email to email@example.com with the subject line: Customer and community liaison application.
Please remember to state clearly in your application if you wish to apply for either or both of the additional areas of responsibility (i.e. community engagement and/or digital editorial support).
Application deadline: Monday 17 February 2020, 9am (GMT)
First interview round: w/c 24 Feb 2020
Second interview round: w/c 2 March 2020
Start date: ideally 23 March 2020 – you will also need to be available for two paid handover/training days beforehand
Contact Pauline Milligan, COO, via firstname.lastname@example.org