The author of the Social Value Act, Chris White has written this review of the Act’s effect on public sector spending. In this report he recommends that:
- The Act needs to be extended to all public spending, and also to decision making.
- The Act needs to be strengthened requiring commissioners to “account for” not just “consider” social value.
- Social value needs to be included in devolution deals.
- These changes need to be supported by clearer statutory guidance by central government.
- A biennial State of Social Value Audit conducted independently but with the support of the Government.