GTS Solutions has underlined its commitment to sustainability by adopting ISO 26000, the International Standard providing structured and managed evidence-based reporting systems for social responsibility.
The company is the first social enterprise in Scotland to adopt the internationally recognised standard.
“We now have a defined auditable process for delivering on the requirements of the standards, a process which demonstrates quite clearly through evidence how we deliver social responsibility, and how that is reflected within our ISO 9001 and SIA ACS quality management standards,” said GTS Solutions chief executive Chris Thewlis.
The core subjects listed by ISO 26000 are: human rights, labour practices, the environment, fair operating practices, consumer issues, community involvement and development.
A business applying the ISO 26000 as a framework to integrate social responsibility into its values and practices shows its commitment to sustainability and overall performance.
“With GTS Solutions having already obtained the Quality Management System standard ISO 9001, adopting ISO 26000 was a natural path to follow,” added Chris.
“We always want to follow best practice in everything we undertake.
“And an evidence-based process linked to our quality management systems ensures that social responsibility is a key consideration in all of our operational processes and relates to national performance frameworks and the United Nations Sustainable Goals.”
The ISO 26000 standard defines Social Responsibility as: an organisation’s responsibility for the impacts of its decisions and activities on society and the environment, through transparent and ethical behaviour that:
- contributes to Sustainable Development, including health and the welfare of society
- takes into account the expectations of stakeholders
- is in compliance with applicable law and consistent with international norms of behaviour
- is integrated throughout the organisation and implemented in its
NOTES TO EDITORS
- Founded in Edinburgh in 2012, GTS Solutions is the only gold standard social enterprise operating in the private security industry.
- GTS is the only security organisation in Scotland to be a living wage employer and the only one in the UK to offer living hours contracts.
- GTS is signed up to the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals, the blueprint to achieve a better and more sustainable future for all and has so far delivered savings of £8.5m to the public purse.
- Chris Thewlis was named in the UMi UK Social Entrepreneur Index 2020
- GTS operations director Tracey Smith was this year named in the top 100 women in social enterprise in the UK.