The latest social enterprise statistics and research to help inform pieces about the sector
Social Enterprise Statistics
The 2017 State of Social Enterprise Report is the largest, most representative survey of social enterprises in the UK. It shows a commercially resilient sector outperforming mainstream SMEs when it comes to turnover growth, innovation, business optimism, start-up rates, diversity in leadership and more. It points towards the Future of Business.
To download the full State of Social Enterprise Report 2017 titled ‘The Future of Business’ click here.
Our Latest Reports
Trading for Good
Trading for Good was commissioned by Lloyds Bank Foundation for England and Wales to provide greater depth of understanding into the work of social enterprises, particularly small and medium-sized social enterprises.
The report shows the important impact social enterprises are having on some of the poorest communities in the UK and calls for more to be done to encourage Government, funders and the public to ensure social enterprises are supported. Focusing on small-medium sized social enterprises it demonstrates that start up rates are high, that they are more diverse in their leadership than traditional SMEs, and that they are working directly in the communities that need them most. Download the report here.
Our Money, Our Future
The author of the Social Value Act, Chris White has written this review of the Act’s effect on public sector spending. In this report he recommends that:
- The Act needs to be extended to all public spending, and also to decision making.
- The Act needs to be strengthened requiring commissioners to “account for” not just “consider” social value.
- Social value needs to be included in devolution deals.
- These changes need to be supported by clearer statutory guidance by central government.
- A biennial State of Social Value Audit conducted independently but with the support of the Government.
Download the full report here.
About Social Enterprise UK
Social Enterprise UK is the largest network of certified social enterprises in the UK and the leading global authority on social enterprise business models and the policy environments which help deliver inclusive growth. Together with its members it is the voice for the future of business. Social Enterprise UK:
- raises awareness of the UK’s social enterprise movement through advocacy and campaigns
- builds the evidence base for social enterprises through its research
- leads on public policy working as a strategic partner to governments from across the political spectrum. SEUK was instrumental in the passing of the Social Value Act
- builds the markets and supportive ecosystems for social enterprises, working with some of the UK’s biggest companies to support them expand their social impact and sustainability. In 2016 we launched the Buy Social Corporate Challenge which is seeing some of the UK’s largest businesses aim to spend £1 billion with social enterprises by bringing them into their supply chains.