Yorkshire Coast Social Enterprise Place stretches from Whitby in the North to Bridlington in the South and around 30 miles inland, encompassing coastal resorts, market towns and rural villages. Traditionally there has been a strong response from the voluntary and community sector to the challenges communities face and there is also a strong community ethos amongst small, independent businesses. In recent years there has been a steady growth in the social enterprise sector supported by projects such as Scarborough Enterprise Match and by the community development social enterprise Coast and Vale Community Action.
The number of social enterprises in our area is relatively low (in the higher tens rather than hundreds) but the number is growing steadily and there is a rising interest in socially-orientated business models. Many of the existing social enterprises rely on volunteers and the unpaid work of their directors/trustees. Sectors covered include buildings management, catering, health and social care, heritage, leisure and sport.
The Seafood Social in Scarborough’s Market Hall donates its profits to the Rainbow Centre, a local charity supporting homeless people and tackling the causes of homelessness.
Key objectives over the coming year
1. To develop the local social market place through building capacity, developing leadership and raising the profile of social enterprise
2. To raise awareness of social enterprise through events and activities targeting public, third and private sector as well as residents
3. To increase understanding of social enterprise through researching the current state of the sector, benchmarking and identifying opportunities
Coast and Vale Community Action owns and runs Scarborough’s youth and community building The Street and channels the income it generates into promoting thriving communities
- Coast and Vale Community Action
- The BEACH (Yorkshire Coast Homes)
- Yorkshire Coast Homes
- Scarborough Borough Council
- East Riding of Yorkshire Council
- Coventry University (Scarborough Campus)
- Coventry University Social Enterprise CIC
- Yorkshire In Business
- Yorkshire Coast Enterprise
- Scarborough UTC
- Totally Locally Scarborough
Growing Opportunities runs volunteer-led community food gardening projects in Scarborough
Coast and Vale Community Action
Tel: 01723 362205
Twitter: @cavca1 @totsoc