Recruiting and retaining staff is an issue that businesses across the whole social enterprise sector have identified as a major concern for their organisation. As such, in 2019 we looked at different ways we could support our members in engaging with their staff.
Induction video for SEUK members
One of the ways we have addressed this was by working with SEUK members and our Patrons (Michael Sheen and Chris Addison) to put together an induction film with supporting materials to help employees of social enterprises understand the impact of the sector and why working for a social enterprise is different, and special.
Members can download the video and supporting resources from the members area!
#MyJobMatters is a digital campaign launched alongside the induction videos to support social enterprises in engaging directly with their staff, reminding them that their role is making a difference.
We appreciate that every job matters in some way but #MyJobMatters aims to recognise the impact of the social enterprise sector, to celebrate those on the front line, as well as those in the back office, who all contribute to the impact and success of this movement.
Taking place on 10th June, the campaign provided a digital platform to engage employees (both existing and potential) and to showcase the social enterprise sector. This was done by highlighting examples of moments when staff realised the importance of their role and encouraging others in the sector to share their stories.
It was incredibly easy to get involved in the campaign!
If you run a social enterprise:
Encourage your staff to take part in the campaign by:
- Downloading this poster to display in your workplace, encouraging staff to share their stories through social media (as above)
- Use this sample content in your newsletters, intranet or other internal communications to remind your team to take part
- Share stories across your social media accounts about your staff, why their job matters and how they contribute to achieving your mission. Use the hashtags #MyJobMattters and #SocEntCareers and include a photo of the staff member(s)!
If you work for a social enterprise (or for a business that works with social enterprises):
- Think about a moment at work when you realised that what you do makes a difference
- Share that moment on social media (Twitter, Facebook or Instagram) with the hashtags #MyJobMattters and #SocEntCareers – include a photograph of yourself (and a beneficiary, if possible)!
We followed the hashtag and shared the stories on SEUK’s social media accounts on the 10thJune!
This was created to give social enterprises (and organisations that work with them) the opportunity to communicate to their teams, particularly new joiners, what a social enterprise is and why it’s so special to be part of one. It’s also a chance to explain to staff the incredible scale and impact of the sector.